If you've never had ham and cheese toasties in an air fryer before, you're in for a treat.
For today's air fryer recipe, I'll show you how to make the perfect ham and cheese toastie in an air fryer with just a few basic ingredients. Let's begin:[adinserter block="2"]
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 slices of ham
- 2 slices of cheese
How to make ham and cheese toasties in an air fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C or 350°F.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- On the non-buttered side of two slices, place a slice of cheese and ham.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Place the sandwiches into the air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then flip the sandwiches over.
- Continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes or until the bread is toasted to your liking and the cheese has melted.
Tips and considerations
- Bread selection: Opt for a sturdy type of bread like sourdough or a thick whole grain. Thinly sliced bread may not hold up as well in the air fryer.
- Cheese choices: While Cheddar and Swiss are classic choices, feel free to experiment with other types like Gouda, Provolone or Pepper Jack.
- Ham alternatives: If you want to switch it up, try using turkey, roast beef, or even cooked bacon.
- Butter or no butter: If you prefer a healthier option, you can skip the butter and just use cooking spray on the bread.
- Serving suggestions: Pair your ham and cheese toasties with a side of chips, fruits, or even a small salad for a more filling meal. You can also add some sliced tomatoes, avocado, or pesto to elevate the flavour.
- Storage and reheating: If you want to save some for later, let the toasties cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, pop them back into the air fryer for a few minutes until heated through.
How long to cook ham and cheese toastie in an air fryer?
The cooking time may vary slightly depending on your air fryer model and personal preference, but typically it takes around 8-10 minutes to cook ham and cheese toasties in an air fryer.
Can I use gluten-free bread in this recipe?
Yes, you can easily substitute regular bread with gluten-free bread. The cooking process remains the same, but make sure to check on it as gluten-free bread might toast faster.
Can this recipe be made vegan?
Absolutely! Swap out the ham for your favourite plant-based meat substitute, and use a non-dairy cheese that melts well. Also, instead of butter, you can use a vegan butter substitute or just stick with cooking spray.
What should I do if my cheese isn't melting inside but the bread is already toasted?
If the cheese isn't melting but the bread is already toasted, you can lower the temperature and extend the cooking time. This allows the cheese to melt without burning the bread.
Can I mix different types of cheese in this recipe?
Absolutely, feel free to mix and match your cheeses for a more complex flavour profile. Just be sure to choose types that melt well.
There you have, the easiest way to make ham and cheese toasties in an air fryer!
This simple and delicious snack takes only a few minutes to prepare and it's perfect for busy mornings or as an afternoon pick-me-up. Give it a try and let us know what you think!