If you've ever wondered how to cook frozen breaded calamari in an air fryer, this step-by-step guide is for you.
You can use Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, Sainsbury, M&S, or any other brand of breaded calamari you like. Let’s begin:[adinserter block="2"]
How to cook frozen breaded calamari in an air fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 200°C (400°F) for about 3 minutes.
- Arrange the frozen breaded calamari in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Be careful not to overcrowd the basket as this might lead to uneven cooking.
- Cook the calamari for 8-10 minutes at 200°C, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- After 8-10 minutes, the calamari should be golden brown and crispy. If not, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the calamari from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips and considerations
- Always preheat your air fryer. This helps achieve a crispy texture faster and prevents the calamari from becoming soggy.
- Avoid adding crumbs when pouring the calamari from the bag into the air fryer basket, these usually burn way before the calamari is finished cooking.
- Do not thaw the calamari before cooking. Cooking from frozen ensures that the calamari stays juicy and tender on the inside while getting crispy on the outside.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. This allows hot air to circulate freely, resulting in even cooking and crispiness.
- Pair the calamari with a fresh salad for a light and balanced meal. A simple mix of greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a tangy vinaigrette works well.
- Use the crispy calamari as a topping for your pasta. It pairs perfectly with spaghetti aglio e olio or linguini with white clam sauce.
- Serve your air-fried calamari as an appetizer with dips such as marinara sauce, aioli, or tartar sauce for added flavour.
- For a unique twist, use the calamari to fill tacos. Add some slaw, avocado, and a squeeze of lime for a refreshing seafood taco.
- Place the calamari on a toasted baguette with lettuce, tomatoes, and a drizzle of aioli to create a delicious sandwich.
- As a classic pairing, serve your calamari with a side of chips or sweet potato fries for a different take on "fish and chips".
Should I defrost frozen calamari before cooking them in an air fryer?
No, it's best to cook the calamari from frozen because it helps to achieve a crispy texture. Defrosting the calamari can cause them to become soggy after cooking.
How long to cook frozen calamari in an air fryer?
It usually takes around 8-10 minutes (200°C) to cook frozen breaded calamari in an air fryer. However, cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the calamari rings.
Should I add oil to calamari before cooking it in an air fryer?
No, most breaded calamari already have a thin layer of oil on them. Adding more oil will most likely make it too greasy after cooking.[adinserter block="2"]
Can I reheat leftover air-fried calamari?
Yes, you can reheat calamari in an air fryer at 175°C (350°F) for 3-4 minutes.
Can I use the same recipe for fresh calamari?
Yes, you can use the same recipe for fresh calamari. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly as it will take less time to cook compared to frozen calamari.
There you have, perfectly cooked air fryer calamari in under 10 minutes.
All in all, cooking frozen breaded calamari in an air fryer is a great solution for an easy and low-mess meal that everyone can enjoy. Give it a try and let us know how yours comes out!