Chicken Kiev is a classic dish that's loved by many for its rich flavours and crispy texture. Traditionally, it's made by stuffing chicken breasts with garlic butter and herbs, then coating them in breadcrumbs and frying them until golden brown.[adinserter block="2"]
But did you know that you can make chicken Kievs in an air fryer? Yes, you can. Here's a delicious chicken Kiev air fryer recipe you can try for dinner tonight.
What you'll need:
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cooking spray
- Begin by making the garlic butter. Mix the butter, minced garlic, and chopped parsley together in a bowl. Divide into four and shape into small logs. Freeze until solid.
- Flatten the chicken breasts using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place a log of garlic butter in the center of each breast, fold in the sides and roll up tightly. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Set up three separate bowls with the flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dip each rolled chicken breast first in the flour, then the egg, and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C (350°F). Spray the breadcrumb-coated chicken with cooking spray and place them in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Creamy mashed potatoes: A traditional side to any chicken dish, these soft and creamy potatoes will balance the crunchy texture of the chicken. You can even add a touch of garlic for an extra flavour burst.
- Steamed green beans: Offering a light and healthy accompaniment, green beans will add a pop of colour and their natural flavour complements the savoury chicken Kievs.
- Roasted vegetables: Toss in-season vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini in olive oil, season with herbs, and roast until tender. Their sweet and smoky flavour works well with chicken Kievs.
- Pilaf Rice: A classic side, pilaf rice with its mild flavours and soft texture, is perfect to soak up the buttery goodness of the chicken Kievs.
- Baked sweet potato: The natural sweetness of the sweet potato provides a beautiful balance to the savoury chicken Kievs, enhancing the overall dining experience.
Tips and considerations
- Ensure your chicken is thoroughly cooked by checking the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It should read 74°C (165°F).
- For a more golden brown exterior, spray a little more cooking spray halfway through the cooking time.
- Be careful when removing the toothpicks to avoid letting the butter leak out.
Q: Can I use other herbs in the garlic butter?
A: Absolutely, feel free to experiment with other herbs like chives or dill.
Q: What can I serve with chicken Kiev?
A: Chicken Kiev pairs well with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a fresh salad.
Q: Can I make chicken Kievs ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the chicken and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking.[adinserter block="2"]
Q: Can I use a different type of bread crumbs?
A: Yes, you can use any type of breadcrumbs you prefer. Panko breadcrumbs can give a nice crunch.
Q: What if I don't have an air fryer?
A: You can bake the chicken Kievs in the oven at 190°C (375°F) for around 30-35 minutes.
There you have - a step-by-step recipe for making chicken Kievs in an air fryer. Give it a try and let us know how your air fryer chicken Kievs turns out.