Chips, it's probably the first thing most people make after setting up their air fryer. This air fryer chips recipe shows just how easy and straightforward it is to make air-fried chips that taste great without the added calories you get with deep frying.[adinserter block="2"]
|5 active minutes, plus 30 non-active minutes
What you'll need
- Air fryer
- 2 large potatoes
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
How to cook chips in an air fryer
- Scrub the potatoes. Peel, if desired. Cut into strips. Try to make them equally thick. Around 1 centimetre thick is a good size - this ensures that they cook evenly without some being perfect and some being undercooked.
- Put the cut potatoes in a bowl with some cold water and leave it for about 30 minutes. This helps to remove some of the starch from the potatoes, resulting in chips that cook better and get perfectly brown and crispy.
- Drain the cut potatoes and pat dry. Drizzle with oil. You can use up to 4 Tablespoons, but 2 Tablespoons will probably be plenty. Toss to combine and make sure the chips are well-coated.
- Put the chips into the fry basket. Set the temperature to 180°C (350°F). Set the timer for 5 minutes and let it cook.
- After 5 minutes, remove the fry basket and shake it well. Shaking during cooking makes sure the chips cook and brown evenly - if you have an air fryer that automatically rotates then you can skip this step.
- Set the timer for another 8 minutes and let the chips cook again.
- After the 8 minutes are up, stop and shake again.
- Set the time for another 7 minutes and let it cook again.
- Check on the chips. If you like them just golden brown and not too crisp, they may be done at this point. If you like them a bit more crispy, shake again and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and enjoy.
Tips and Considerations
- This air fryer chips recipe is classic and doesn't use unique flavours, but you can easily make these chips more gourmet by adding some spices. Try fresh minced garlic and some parmesan cheese. Or, drizzle the finished chips with some truffle oil.
- Other spices and herbs can also be used, like basil, thyme, or red pepper. Don't be afraid to get creative. You can substitute a different kind of oil if you wish, avocado oil works quite well.
- If you want to minimize calories, you can just use a few sprays of cooking spray rather than oil. This air fryer chips recipe uses oil to really mimic the taste of deep-frying, but you can make tasty chips with much less oil. In fact, you can even make these chips with no oil at all. They will, however, end up crispier and a bit drier.
How long to cook chips in an air fryer?
On average, it will take between 20-25 minutes to cook homemade chips in an air fryer. This is for regular thick-cut chips, not thin-cut french fries.
See Also → How to cook frozen chips in an air fryer.
What temperature to cook chips in an air fryer?
We recommend cooking chips at 180°C (350°F) in an air fryer. Even if you prefer crispier chips, adjust the cooking time instead of the temperature.
Do you need to add oil to cook chips in an air fryer?
You don't have to add oil, but we do recommend adding a few sprays of olive oil to give it that familiar crunchy texture. If you don't use oil, there's a good chance they'll come out too dry.[adinserter block="2"]
See Also → How to cook oven chips in an air fryer.
There you have it guys, a very simple, but delicious way to cook chips in an air fryer. Remember, you can always add different seasonings to make this air fryer chips recipe your own.